Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Solutions to Blocked #1 and Barred #1-2

Far too long after posting, here are the solutions to the first three puzzles posted here! In the future, I'll be trying to get these up sooner, but hopefully they can provide some insight :) Also, thanks to all who have pointed out the numerous errors found in the first puzzles - for a mathematically inclined cruciverbalist, I'm embarrased to say that I often forget to count, spell, and the like. Will be more careful in the future, but I really appreciate the feedback, and am always happy to recieve it.

Onto the actual content... Solution to 'However You Slice It...' is here , and for 'Polar Opposites' here! Will be posting some standard American puzzles for a bit, but expect some more cryptics about midway through August.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for finally posting the solution to However You Slice It. I had most of the solution but have two friendly critiques. One is that there are more than 7 Across clues with extraneous words, so the initial cryptic clue to be found is ambiguous. I eventually settled on what turned out to be the correct clue but still didn't see how it was supposed to work. The anagram at the beginning makes the answer obvious when you look at the pattern (2-2-4?) but I'm not crazy about "wildest" as an anagram indicator, and I'm really, really not fond of the "most surreal suspicions" as what has to be the straight definition of "Is it cake?". Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I've noticed as well that my view of "extraneous" was far too loose, which made lots of alternate answers possible. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future, and my apologies for any issues it made here.

      Re: the definition of "is it cake," I'm referring the to the (now-passed?) trend of taking hyper-surreal objects and cutting them in half to show that they're actually cake, which led many to "fear" everything (including crosswords!) to be cake: a "most surreal suspicion," in my words. It's admittedly not the greatest definition, but I hope this message helps explain my reasoning behind it!

      Thanks for the note, I really appreciate the feedback, and I promise that I'll be more careful in the future!

      Delete
  2. In Barred #1-2, I was confused by 16 across. You indicate that the letters of "DEBATE" need to be rearranged, but you can't get "ABATED" from "DEBATE"!

    ReplyDelete

Themeless Crossword #2 (With Brooke Husic!!!!!)

Shanah Tovah all! Hoping to bring back the blog more consistently (aiming for every other Thursday for now!) in 5782. I think today's pu...